Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Communication Desert

One moment you can communicate with the world, the next you are floating abandoned, incommunicado as though on the dark side of the moon.
The day took a sharp downward turn when I realised that some nameless individual had hacked into my mail account and sent frivolous messages to all on my address book. I changed the password.

Some hours later my mail is blocked. The verification code to unblock it is helpfully sent to a now defunct e-mail address.

In addition a new computer was needed as the DVD drive had thrown in the towel and sundry other facets were fast fading. I take the plunge and return home with my new Mac pro ready for action.

Four hours later and still not connected to the wifi, my son arrives to rescue his aged mother. Except that the task defeats him.
He rings Orange who are totally unable to solve the problem. Naturally it is the Saturday when the Apple technical support centre is shut.
As if in a conspiracy, the charging wire for my old computer finally snaps, the battery, which has a half life of 2 nano seconds, goes flat.
All communication with the outside world ceases. I fully expect my mobile to expire.

Monday arrives, I drive to said technical support centre. There combined brains also fail to get me onto wifi.
More frustrating conversation with Orange follows.

Eventually after unspecified quantities of money has been lost on the phone they suggest a truly mind blowingly simple fix.
I rush home, oh joy oh rapture, wifi works. Time wasted approximately 4 hours, excluding travelling time.
How exactly do computers save us time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home